Syncing your Google calendars with your iPhone/iPad is really simple. After following these instructions, you will be able to add or change events on your Google calendars from one device (like your iPhone), and it will make the same changes to your Google calendars on your iPad and computer.
Getting Your iPhone/iPad Ready
- If you haven’t been following my earlier posts, first set up Gmail on your iPhone/iPad by following the instructions in the best way to set up Gmail on your iPhone and iPad.
- Now, on the iPhone/iPad, touch Settings.
- Touch Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Touch Exchange.
- If Calendars is Off, touch Off to turn it On.
- Touch upper left arrow twice. Press the Home key.
Changing Google Calendar Names and Settings
On Your Computer:
- Log into your Google account.
- In the black bar across the top click on Calendar. (If you don’t see it, click on More, then Calendar.)
- If you’ve already been using and creating Google calendars, you probably have given them meaningful names. If you haven’t been using Google calendars, Google starts you off with one using your profile name.
- On the left side of your screen, click on My Calendars. My Calendars will expand with your named calendar(s) below.
- To rename a calendar, click on the down arrow to the right of the calendar’s name.
- Click on Calendar settings.
- Type in a different Calendar name and click Save.
- This is a good time to choose a color for each of your calendars so that all events within a calendar are shaded with the same color. Once you assign the same colors to the same calendars on your iPhone/iPad, it will be much easier to share calendars with others. Go back to the right arrow beside a calendar name and click on it.
- At the bottom of the drop-down box, click on your chosen color.
On Your iPhone/iPad:
- Touch the Safari icon.
- Touch the white website/url field at the top. Delete whatever is in that field.
- Type m.google.com/sync in the field.
- Touch Go in the bottom right corner. If you need to, sign into your Google account. Otherwise, you should see this screen.
- Touch iPhone or iPad. Under My Calendars, touch to check the calendars you want to see and use on your iPhone or iPad.
- Touch Save.
- If you have another iDevice you can select calendars for it by touching Choose another device. Repeat the calendar selection and touch Save.
- Press the Home key on your iPhone/iPad.
- Touch .
- Touch Calendars in top left corner.
- Touch Edit.
- Touch a calendar name that needs to have the color changed to match your Google calendar color. Touch the correct color. Touch Done. Repeat until all iPhone/iPad Exchange calendar colors match your Google calendar colors.
You’ve just liberated a little bit of your time from manually re-entering the same information on multiple devices! For those of you who prefer using Apple’s iCal or Calendar on your Mac, my next post will show you how to synchronize it via iCloud.